Before you book a Home stay, please understand you are going to stay at someone’s home, not a hotel. No doubt you will have an amazing experience living with locals and their help will be readily available when required, but respecting the rules of the house and maintaining the decorum is also very important.
Most of the home stays unlike hotels, do not have a housekeeping staff. So, please maintain hygiene and do not litter in your room or common areas.
Adhere to House Rules
- Please inform the host in case you intend to come late or stay outside some particular day. Your safety and security is a big concern for host.
- Many Indian families are vegetarian by choice or tradition. Its always good to check beforehand if they cook or allow non-veg food.
- Most of the time you eat at the home stay but if you want to eat out on a particular day, please inform the host.
- You must ask the host if they allow smoking or drinking.
- Take your host’s permission if you want to party with your friends or family and dispose the leftovers carefully.
Have Right Expectations
Come prepared to adapt to the menu set by the host. Mostly in home-stays there is a day’s fixed menu. Unlike hotels, home-stays won’t have an elaborate menu to choose from. It is a good idea to discuss with your host in case you have any food allergies or if you don’t eat something.
Do not expect room service in a homestay. Most of the times homestays do not have regular staff and the owner himself takes care of the guests.
Use Resources Judiciously
Make sure you use the amenities provided to you wisely and leave them in working condition. While using water and electricity, make sure you don’t leave taps running or appliances switched on when you don’t need them.
Be Neighborhood Friendly
Along with maintaining decorum at your host’s place, you are also expected to act responsibly in the neighborhood. Do not indulge in any activity that will cause trouble for your host. Do not enter in any kind of physical or verbal abuse in the neighborhood. If there is any issue that needs attention, take your host’s help to resolve it.